Pros & Cons of DIY Garage Door Repairs
A few things are better left to the professionals – like surgery or car maintenance. What about garage door repairs? Repairing garage doors isn’t something that is easy to do – it’s actually a bit complicated. One thing is certain at some point you’ll have to confront the fact that your garage has to be fixed. It could be because of wear and tear resulting from long-term use or something has gone wrong mechanically. Whatever the reason, garage door repair is an absolute must for you!
The Pros and Cons of DIY Garage Door Repair
There are a few advantages to repairing your garage door yourself:
- It could save you money. Hiring a professional can be expensive and if you’re handy, repairs it yourself could come at a fraction of the cost.
- You can do it at your convenience. If you hire a professional, they’ll likely have to schedule an appointment around your busy schedule. But if you do it yourself, you can work on the repairs whenever convenient for you.
- You’ll have the ability to manage your entire procedure of fixing the garage doors. Everyone else won’t get to participate regarding the repair of your door in regards to the equipment and tools.
We get it. There’s nothing quite like the feeling of satisfaction when you get to say “I did it myself!” when it comes to home repairs. If you’re the type of person who likes to work with your hands and take on projects, then garage door repair is a perfect way to show off your skills.
However, there are disadvantages to this DIY project:
- One of the disadvantages of doing your own garage door repair or installation is that you have a higher chance of getting injured in the process. These injuries range from puncture wounds, falling off ladders, and injuries from torsion springs. A professional knows how to work safely and has the proper safety equipment for the job.
- It’s essential to have the right tools. If you don’t have experience working with tools, it might be worth hiring a professional so they can handle the repairs.
- The task on your own could take quite a while. It will certainly take more time than experts will. If you work a job that is regular, this could pose a problem because you have to take time to complete the task.
- The repair might not be done correctly. This could cause further damage to your garage door or opener and ultimately cost more money in the long run.
If your garage door is having a problem, you might be on the fence about what to do about it. There is the route of calling a garage door repair company to fix your issue. Then there is the Do-It-Yourself route. Calling a garage door company can save time, while doing the repairs yourself can give you more control of the process.
It is easy to do common DIY garage door repair mistakes. However, here are a few mistakes that can be easily made and how to avoid them ↓
- Not Wearing Protective Gear
- This one is a big deal for most people who are doing this themselves. You must wear protective gear to avoid any potentially serious injuries. Eye gear, a hard hat, and strong leather gloves are the most important protective gear you can wear for a garage repair project.
- Not Using the Right Tools
- When you have decided to do a repair, such as a garage door spring repair, it is imperative you use the right tools for the job. Using the wrong tools, for example, a screwdriver to substitute for a winding bar, to not damage parts and cause injury to yourself.
- Not Using Help
- They always say two hands are better than one. In some instances, such as working on the garage door motor or replacing a panel, it might be better to have another person there to help you rather than doing it all by yourself. This can avoid injuries like falling or stepping off of a ladder.
When to Call a Professional Garage Door Repair Service
So which is better? DIY repair or hiring a professional? The answer depends on your skill level and comfort with DIY projects.Our advice? Garage door repair can be tricky, so it’s best to leave it to the experts. Remember, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. Call us today!
Still confused on when to just throw in the towel and call the pros? Let’s dive deeper on why it’s better to rely on us. *add link*
Ready to schedule your service call?
Drop us a line today for a free quote!